9 - SEPTEMBER 2012 BIRD SIGHTINGS (ANGUS)

Past Bird & Wildlife Sightings Are Posted Here!

Moderator: Mark Caunt

Mark Caunt
Site Admin

9 - SEPTEMBER 2012 BIRD SIGHTINGS (ANGUS)

Postby Mark Caunt » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:39 pm

Angus Bird Sightings for SEPTEMBER 2012

Clive McKay

1st Sept East Haven

Postby Clive McKay » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:20 pm

4-5 beautiful White Wagtails feeding along the strandline south of the village - there must be dozens and dozens along the Angus coastline. But don't delay if you want to see them - they'll soon move on for sure.
Cheers
Clive

Bob McCurley

Sept. 2nd CANADA GEESE -INVERGOWRIE BAY

Postby Bob McCurley » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:54 am

September 2nd. 9-50am CANADA GEESE 52 Resting in Invergowrie Bay on way South -
Per Club member Philip Cohen

Bob McCurley

Sept. 2nd VISIBLE MIGRATION

Postby Bob McCurley » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:53 pm

SEPTEMBER 2ND 12-OOPM WHEATEARS 14 plus WHINCHATS 2 Seen on BARRY BUDDON At 4 different locations on camp - migration in progress !

Barry Farquharson

Re: SEPTEMBER 2012 ANGUS BIRD SIGHTINGS

Postby Barry Farquharson » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:19 pm

September 2nd.

Missed the Canada Geese in Invergowrie Bay, but as the tide came in there was 1 Curlew Sandpiper in with the flock of Redshanks. Also 4 Black Tailed Godwits, 1 Goosander and a Shoveler. Viewed from the hide at Riverside Nature Park. No sign of the Lesser Whitethroat seen on Thursday.

gus guthrie

Postby gus guthrie » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:00 pm

at least 30 greenshank just behind miss erskines bank up the lurgies at high tide this afternoon, also 2 ruff, little egret and a spotted redshank was down on rossie spit next to the oystercatchers at high tide.

Mark Caunt
Site Admin

Malware Attack

Postby Mark Caunt » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:41 am

Hi All,
As I am sure you are aware the Angus Birding Forum has been suffering from Virus and Malware Warnings over the past 2 months almost. Very frustrating. Problem has been the web providers say its clear and then google says its not and ive been going between the 2 back and forth to no satisfaction.

To avoid this Ive just restarted a NEW forum at a NEW web location and installed the back up file from the old forum so we dont lose all old sightings and records. And you have found it here!
As always following the links on the www.AngusBirding.com home page will bring you to the correct spot. Hopefully this will work! I am not holding my breath JUST yet but my Internet Explorer is "ok" ing it at the moment. There maybe teething problems. I notice already that users Avatars (pictures that represent you by your post) have disapeared! So you may have to re upload that yourself. Keep posted if you notice anything else! The "old" forum will soon be deleted.

Thanks to all who emailed me and let me know about this. I am sorry that I couldn't reply to all of you as I've just been so busy at work and just fixing the forum has been a time consuming job!

Lets hope this proves more stable. If not I will be changing web space providers very soon! lol!
Thanks again for your support and patience!
Regards, Mark Caunt

simonbusuttil

Usan Geese

Postby simonbusuttil » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:49 am

a good count of 400 Canada Geese in a stubble field at Usan this am. Also 9 pink-feet, 1 Greylag and 1 Barnacle present - maybe the latter is the uninjured bird that has been on the Lurgies all summer ? Also 1500 Herring gulls in with the geese

Bob McCurley

September 3rd. RING NECKED PARAKEET

Postby Bob McCurley » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:53 am

September 3rd. 7-30a.m. RING NECKED PARAKEET Flew West past Kingoodie this am - Calling loudly and seen

and heard by Club Member Philip Cohen who is very familiar with all aspects of this species from his time down South - thanks for this report Philip -

Mickey Mellon

Postby Mickey Mellon » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:00 pm

03/09/2012 Arbroath, my house, 619 412. last two days hve been Swallow watching and the amount passing through going south is amazing. Can easily put it in the hundreds. Best sight was when I heard quite a racket above and Swallows moving at a great rate chasing a Peregrine. The raptor just dept going and the swallows turned off but quite a sight.

Ken Grant

Postby Ken Grant » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:43 pm

Had an eventful hour at the lurgies sunday afternoon (2nd), Kingfisher perching on tree just over the bridge , spotted flycatcher on far bank along with grey wagtail and couple of Guillemots swimming about 5 yds away in the burn.

Mickey Mellon

Postby Mickey Mellon » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:50 am

04/09/2012 East Haven 1500. White Wagtails feeding on sand flies, 14 Sanderling, 9 Dunlin, 1 Bartailed Godwit, and large amount of Ringed Plovers, Swallows moving through and a few Sandwich Terns.

Mickey Mellon

Postby Mickey Mellon » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:26 pm

05/09/2012 Elliot 11.00. 3 White Wagtails feeding on kelp, lots of Goldfinches, mixture of Adults and juvs, 2 Snipe,poss first returning winter visitors, Swallows passing through.

richardblackburn

Postby richardblackburn » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:14 pm

6 Sept - ~12:00
4 brent geese seen flying towards Ferryden over Montrose railway and road bridges.
100+ golden plover in the basin - 2 grey plover in with them.

15:30 - whimbrel seen from centre on foreshore.

Mickey Mellon

Postby Mickey Mellon » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:36 pm

06/09/2012 Easthaven 10.00. Lots of Sanderling, Ringed Plovers, few Dunlin, 2 Bartailed Godwit. Then a walk along the wind swept beach towards the rocks and a lucky find a Little Stint sheltering from the wind.

Bob McCurley

SEPT. 7TH NUTHATCH

Postby Bob McCurley » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:26 pm

Sept. 7th 2-45 pm NUTHATCH - BEHIND MANSION HOUSE AT CAMPERDOWN PARK - ON FEEDER OUT SIDE

RANGERS OFFICE - LOOK FOR THE SIGN AT BACK OF MANSION HOUSE SAYING "CAMPERDOWN GOLF CLUB" AND TO THE LEFT OF THIS IS STEPS LEADING DOWN TO THE LOCKER ROOM - FEEDER IS ON THJE LEFT OF THESE STEPS -- THANKS TO THE STAFF OF THE RANGERS OFFICE WHO PHONED ME GIVING ME THIS GREAT NEWS ALONG WITH PHOTO FOR ID CONFIRMATION - I CONFIRMED ID. AND PUT IT OUT ON THE ADBC MOBILE CONTACT SYSTEM .

gus guthrie

Postby gus guthrie » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:01 pm

5 green sandpipers on south esk above the lurgies this afternoon( 4 together + single bird on pool in grass field), 3 ruff on gravel bank near miss erskine's bank. Also osprey,kingfisher,kestrel and peregrine having another go at greenshank, 3rd time i've seen this happen in the last fortnight.
plenty greenshank around, strangely not seen a single one with colour rings yet.

Bob McCurley

September 8th - SPOTTED FLY. WHITETHROAT

Postby Bob McCurley » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:41 pm

SEPT. 8TH 10am. 1 SPOTTED FLYCATCHER - 1WHITETHROAT JUV. 1GREY WAGTAIL - Along Craig Mill Den Walk plus usual suspects

gus guthrie

Postby gus guthrie » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:49 pm

Nuthatch still at Camperdown park. Coming to feeder at Ranger station at Mansion house, been seen several times this morning also in trees close by. Also had 2 Ruff at Invergowire bay , Barry Farquarson also had a Curlew Sandpiper there too.

simonbusuttil

Postby simonbusuttil » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:26 pm

150 pink-feet coming in high from north this morning (Sat) at Usan. There were a handful coming into the Basin last night. Migrants at Usan this morning included spotted flycatcher, several willow warblers and a chiff chaff.

Michael Morphy

Postby Michael Morphy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:11 am

Montrose Basin: Pink Feet Arrival

Living at Langley Park on the flight path to the basin, we watched many small skeins fly in from the NE throughout the day yesterday. It has continued this morning.

Bob McCurley

September 9th ADBC Outing Fixture Change

Postby Bob McCurley » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:52 pm

Sept. 9th CLUB OUTING WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 12TH - SLIGHT CHANGE TO VENUE ARRANGEMENTS

Instead of meeting at Fish Town Usan please MEET AT AUCHMITHIE VILLAGE CAR PARK AT 10AM AND NOT AT FISHTOWN AS PREVIOUSLY ADVERTISED . IT WAS FELT FISHTOWN TO WINDYHILLS WAS TOO FAR - SO INSTAED WE WILL WALK FROM AUCHMITHIE VILLAGE ALONG COASTAL PATH AS FAR AS GAYLET POT AND CHECK WINDY HILLS ON WAY BACK - WE WILL TAKE LUNCH AT THE BUT' N' BEN RESTAURANT--- BUT BRING PACKED LUNCH IF YOU PREFER THAT . BUT' n' BEN FOOD IS VERY GOOD .
SEE YOU AT 10AM AUCHMITHIE VILLAGE - WEDNESDAY SEPT, 12TH
BOB

Bob McCurley

Sept. 9th PINKFEET ON BASIN

Postby Bob McCurley » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:37 pm

SEPT 9TH 12 NOON PINKFEET 355 ON BASIN - First Arrivals this year was 35 on September 5th ( counts per Andy ) PLUS 40 CANADA GEESE

ALSO A SINGLE CURLEW SANDPIPER IN FRONT OF CENTRE - ALSO 1 OSPREY From Lurgies

gus guthrie

SPOTTED REDSHANK AT RIVERSIDE

Postby gus guthrie » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:04 pm

SPOTTED REDSHANK AT RIVERSIDE NATURE RESERVE AT 11AM TODAY, ALSO RUFF,TURNSTONE AND BLACK-TAILED GODWIT.

IN AFTERNOON CURLEW SANDPIPER FROM MONTROSE BASIN CENTRE , THEN 4 GREEN SANDPIPERS AND 2 RUFF AT LURGIES.

Grant Balfour

9th Sept: Snipe at Lurgies

Postby Grant Balfour » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:28 am

Counted a total of 46 Snipe in the area between Miss Erskines Bank to the Mill Burn, just after high tide on Sunday morning. Also Green Sandpiper (1), Ruff (2), White Wagtail (2, in amongst a lot of Pieds), Osprey (1), Kingfisher (1) & Greenshank (3 - one colour ringed).

Canada Geese present.

Pink Feet flying over all weekend

Forgot to post this earlier:
8th Sept, while surveying Shags from the Lud Castle headland (south end of Castlesea Bay) I had two Sooty Shearwaters fly past very close in (only a matter of yards from the headland).
Last edited by Grant Balfour on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

colinlamond

Walk at Kinnordy

Postby colinlamond » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:20 am

I was out at Kinnordy Loch this morning at around 8am.

There were gadwall, mallard, tufted, teal and wigeon ducks on the loch.

I saw one grey heron. A buzzard hunted over the fields opposite the hide.

Water rail called from the reeds. I saw a few twayblade orchids by the path into a hide.

A lone black tailed godwit flew over the loch. There was a large flock of lapwing resting on the far side.

I saw a large sparrowhawk in Kirriemuir at 9am.

Some swallows were hunting over the loch, and I heard a willow warbler.

joncook

10th SEPTEMBER 2012 Nuthatch Camperdown House

Postby joncook » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:17 pm

Nuthatch still coming to feeders at Rangers office behind Camperdown House this morning, though infrequent, 2 brief visits in an hour.
Jon

colinlamond

Walk at Backwater Dam

Postby colinlamond » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:37 pm

I walked around the Backwater Dam today. At the car park, near to the dam, there were lots of swallows and meadow pipits. Several goldcrests called from the conifer trees.

Walking up the side of the loch, a bullfinch flew past.

The loch had few birds on it, with only a few cormorants.

At the top end, I saw a lone sandmartin.

We stopped at Lintrathen on the way home. This had coot, little grebe, great crested grebe and a few mallard ducks.

An osprey flew over.

srgreen

Re: Baird's - Montrose Basin

Postby srgreen » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:26 pm

Just in case anyone saw this reported on Birdguides etc, and wondered what it was all about, I had a slightly smaller wader in amongst a pile of Dunlin opposite the Lurgies on the dropping tide around noon today. Although always very distant, and only seen very briefly before some squabbling Canada's scattered all the small waders, never to be seen again, all the signs pointed to (juv) Bairds. Long, tapered rear end, scaly fringed upperparts, fine straightish bill, and a generally cleaner, brighter appearance -despite the distance and crap light, it still stood out from the couple of hundred Dunlin it was with. White-rumper not elimanated however, simply due to the distance putting it at the very edge of the abilities of my scope (and eyes)................. Definitely worth chasing up though, on a falling tide.
Also there, 1 Spotted Redshank, 3 Ruff, plenty Greenshank and Snipe, 1 Osprey still, 2 Gadwall, 5 Blackwits, plenty Canada Geese, 400+ Pink-feet, Kingfisher, Peregrine etc.
Forfar Loch 5pm - Guillemot - 1 off sailing club, and about 120 Canada Geese
SRG

Barry Farquharson

Postby Barry Farquharson » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:33 pm

Unusual sighting on Saturday morning on Arklay Street in Dundee. A Cormorant gliding over at rooftop height heading towards the river.

Allan Hall

Postby Allan Hall » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:03 pm

Forfar Loch, Tuesday morning. Guillemot, Goldeneye, 96 Canada Geese, about 39 Little Grebes and at least 1 White with the flock of Pied Wagtails.

Bob McCurley

Sept. 12th ADBC Coastal Path Outing

Postby Bob McCurley » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:05 pm

Sept. 12th 10am to 1430pm -- 16 ADBC members enjoyd the coastal path mid-week outing from Auchmithie to Gaylet Pot and recorded 41 species - 4 Raptor Species - Merlin - Sparrow Hawk - Buzzard - Kestrel -- plus Blackcap- Willow Warbler and large passage of Hirundines seen - Swallow - House Martin and Sand Martin >South
Lunch was taken at the famous But n' Ben Restaurant Auchmithie - A Great Day out -

richardblackburn

Postby richardblackburn » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:08 pm

Tues 11th Sept.

12:00
Camperdown rangers office.
No nutharch, but plenty of coal, great and coal tits. Also a GS Woodpecker, chaffinches and robin. Also had red and grey squirrels at the feeders. On the path back to the golfer's car park a treecreeper was seen.

14:30
Riverside Nature Park - very windy
2 buzzards hunting over the park, crows, 2 goldfinches on the walk round to the hide. From the hide, mallards, teal, BH gulls, a goosander, redshank, LBB gulls, feral and woodpigeons, godwits, herring gulls and a dipper. Also, a very windswept peacock butterfly.
A single lapwing flew through. At the lochan, a grey heron was seen, along with a reed bunting and chaffinches on the path. Swallows flying over the hillside.

Tim Gulson

Dundee City Centre - Magpie

Postby Tim Gulson » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:27 pm

Magpie seen this evening (18:15) over Hawkhill, flew from University area into trees in St Joseph's School.

Bob McCurley

Sept. 13th SEA EAGLE Tagged

Postby Bob McCurley » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:20 pm

SEPTEMBER 13TH. SEA EAGLE -- SEEN AT CORBY SITUATED GONG SOUTH ALONG BEACH FROM LUNAN BAY REPORTED TO ME BY DAVE PORTEOUS - BIRD WAS TAGGED WITH RED LETTER " T " DAVE REPORTED THIS TO THE RSPB -- IT FLEW OFF NORTH AT 9AM .

Bob McCurley

SEPTEMBER 13TH SPOTTED RED.- PINKFEET

Postby Bob McCurley » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:44 pm

SEPT. 13TH 9AM PINKFEET GEESE 2500 SEEN ON GOOSE ROAD NO. 660513 FEEDING IN STUBBLE FIELD
Above seen by Graham and Jon & I

Sept/ 13th 10-30 am SPOTTED REDSHANK still showing well but flighty seen from Lurgies

colinlamond

Around Kirriemuir

Postby colinlamond » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:32 am

This week I have visited the Kinnordy Loch in the early morning.

This morning, Friday 14th, I saw an otter from the gullery hide.

I saw a marsh harrier on both Friday and Wednesday morning. On Friday I saw it from the east hide, flying over the reedbeds opposite. On Wednesday it was sat in a pine tree outside the gullery hide.

In between the hides, particularly near the feeders, there were coal tits, great tits, blue tits and long tailed tits. Siskins, chaffinch and bullfinches.

A great spotted woodpecker frequents the area near the feeders.

Wednesday I saw red squirrels. On Friday I saw several hares on nearby farmland.
On the loch I have seen gadwall, teal, widgeon and mallard ducks. Sometimes there are a few tufted ducks on the loch. Usually there are one or two grey herons about. Water rails call from the reeds, but remain out of site.

There are usually some lapwing at the west end of the loch. Most morning a few snipe may be seen flying around.
On Tuesday morning I heard a yellow wagtail flying overhead.

Walking over the nearby Egnomoss, I have found yellow hammers, redpolls, meadow pipits. Large flocks of geese fly over in the morning; the ones I could identify were pinkfooted goose.

I also saw a golden plover flying overhead from here. There were several buzzards, and one morning I saw a kestrel.
On Wednesday morning I walked on a country road that runs south from Maryton towards Ballindarg. There were a lots of yellow hammers down here. I also found meadow pipit and willow warbler. There were a few buzzards and one sparrowhawk. Large flocks of geese were flying up the Strathmore Valley. Some were pinkfooted geese, the ones I identified.

colinlamond

Tentsmuir

Postby colinlamond » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:44 am

On Tuesday this week, I walked from Tayport out to Tentsmuir point. Out on the mudflats I found bar tailed godwit, redshank, dunlin and ringed plover. I found one lone knot.

There were lots of eider ducks on the Tay. Gannets were feeding off shore and some came into the river.

We found a wheatear near Tayport.

At the point some sandwich terns were fishing off the beach. There were a few razorbills and guillemots sitting offshore. Overhead a group of house martins were hunting insects. A ravon flew by.

In the woods, siskins were in the tree tops. I saw common darter and common hawker dragonflies. There were a few small copper butterflies around.

Mickey Mellon

Postby Mickey Mellon » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:15 pm

14/09/2012 Elliot non birding. A dead SEI Whale has been washed up on Elliot beach. Divers, RNLI<Police all present trying to get ashore. Think it was on passage from Arctic area to warmer climes and has been chewed up badly by a boat ..Never seen one but there is a lots of info on google about it.

Bob McCurley

September 14th. KINGFISHER

Postby Bob McCurley » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:09 pm

SEPT.14TH 1400HRS KINGFISHER in Craig Mill Den NO. 578355 Seen flying upstream towards the Ley - uncommon here .

Also recorded BLACKBIRDS 2 In Craig Mill Den - 2 Year Winter Thrushes Survey by BTO is now under way . The 6 Winter Thrushes they want us to report are- Song Thrush - Mistle Thrush - Blackbird - Redwing - Fieldfare Ring Ouzel , plus Starlings - and Waxwings- Go on to the BTO Website and click on Winter Thrush survey and register to begin posting your sightings over period , Sept. 12th 2012 to April 2013 - and again from September 2013 to April 2014 This survey is very worthy of your support and sightings = Please get involved

Return to “Past Records - 2012 to 2013”