13 - JANUARY 2013 BIRD SIGHTINGS (ANGUS)

Past Bird & Wildlife Sightings Are Posted Here!

Moderator: Mark Caunt

Mark Caunt
Site Admin

13 - JANUARY 2013 BIRD SIGHTINGS (ANGUS)

Postby Mark Caunt » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:31 pm

Angus Bird Sightings for JANUARY 2013

Mark Caunt
Site Admin

THANK YOU!

Postby Mark Caunt » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:42 pm

Big "Thank You" to everyone who posted bird sightings and information on the forum over the last year! Really appreciated!
Its great to continue to build up a database of local sightings that will be useful in years to come. I know there are lots of users that just read and never post but please consider posting your sightings no matter how trivial you feel it may be.
So thanks for your support and keep the posts coming in 2013!

Mark Caunt
Site Admin

Tuesday 1st January 2013 - Purple Sandpiper

Postby Mark Caunt » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:49 pm

Date & Time: Tuesday 1st January 2013 - 2:00pm
Species: Purple Sandpiper
Details: A single Purple Sandpiper amongst the turnstones and redshank at Arbroath Esplanade behind leisure centre.

Graham Smith

Re: JANUARY 2013 ANGUS BIRD SIGHTINGS

Postby Graham Smith » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:55 pm

1stJanuary - c10 red grouse, 2 black grouse and a goshawk seen in GlenProsen between Prosen village and the Lodge. Big flock of brambling c20 at Kinnordy, 8 redpoll and possible brief view of bearded tit at base of reeds to the west of the Gullery Hide. No sign of the smew! 14 waxwings at east end of Brook Street, Broughty Ferry. Graham Smith

richardblackburn

Postby richardblackburn » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:58 pm

Montrose

~3pm: 11 waxwings and a song thrush seen at the entrance to the Broomfield Industrial Estate. Should hopefully be there for a day or two as loads of berries on the bushes. Also, peregrine flew overhead nearby.

Correction - it was a Fieldfare with the waxwings - good job I checked my photos!
Last edited by richardblackburn on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BRIAN LAING

Postby BRIAN LAING » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:52 pm

St cyrus nature reserve at 1 20 pm a kestrel along at cliffs 1/01/13

Barry Farquharson

Postby Barry Farquharson » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:21 pm

January 1st. A decent day out in Dundee area to start a new yearlist.

Herring Gull, Feral Pigeon, Blackbird, Woodpigeon, House Sparrow, Carrion Crow and Blue Tits seen en route from home to swannie ponds. A Sparrowhawk flew into trees on south side of Clepington Road as I crossed towards ponds. At the ponds were Herring Gull, Common Gull, Black Headed Gull, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Moorhen and Mute Swan. A small skein of 8 Pink Footed Geese overflew in silence, rather unusually. From there I walked down to Baxter Park. Not a huge amount around but Chaffinch and Great Tit were additions near the north gate. A Mistle Thrush flew south from the trees towards the east gate. 2 male Bullfinches feeding in trees by that gate and a Waxwing flew round in a circle calling while another called from a perched position out of sight. Headed up Dalkieth Terrace where a few Fieldfares were in trees at top end of the street. A Coal Tit was on the corner of Dennison Road. Another Waxwing was heard, then seen over the TA Centre flying back towards Baxter Park.

Eastern Cemetery was my next stop and I managed to walk right past a tree with 3 or 4 Fieldfares and a Redwing plus a Greenfinch on my way in without noticing. Fortunately I spotted them before I'd gone too far. Another few Great Tits, Blue Tits and a Coal Tit were seen here. Bumped into another ADBC member who was looking for Waxwings, so we had a wee hunt about. Got the only Robin of the day here too. A Sparrowhawk flew over, possibly also looking for Waxwings. A flock of 30+ Waxwings flew over calling towards the eastern corner of the cemetery but just before we got to them they took off as dog walkers walked below the tree they were in.

Headed down to the Stannergate next where single Curlew, Redshank and Oystercatchers fed along the shore. A small flock of Red Breasted Mergansers were seen out in the river. A Linnet flew over and Greenfinch and Goldfinch were in the bushes by the fence by the wasteground towards the oil rig. Next stop was Balmossie where a few more ADBC members were encountered and sightings compared. Bar Tailed Godwit, Great Black Backed Gull, Cormorant, Knot, Turnstone, Eider, Wigeon, Pied Wagtail, Rock Pipit were all added here though the tide was still quite far out and the low winter sun made scanning with binoculars tricky. From there we headed to a rather quiet Barry Buddon. Chaffinch and Greenfinch were in bushes near the entrance, and a pair of Dunnocks were next up. Carrion Crows seemed to be the only birds around in any numbers, though a couple of skeins of Pink Footed Geese flew north (75 or so in the larger of the two groups). At the shore there was a small flock of Oystercatchers, plus around 6 Bar Tailed Godwits and 2 Sanderling. A flock of small waders (Dunlin or Ringed Plover) flew off before I got a proper look at them so went unidentified. A distant Buzzard hung in the wind round towards the lighthouse. A juvenile Grey Heron was sat by a flooded area of the camp and a female Sparrowhawk had two passes at some of the finches as we neared the way out. A Magpie was the final addition to the list as we drove back out from the car park. Stopped again at Balmossie where two male Goldeneyes and 3 Red Breasted Mergansers gave closer views than previously. Around 100 Redshanks and 4 Turnstones roosted on the outflow pipe by the burn. The light was starting to go, and nothing else was added to my list as I headed for home. Ended the day on 47 species, which is a new best for my January 1st listing.

Bob McCurley

January 2nd WAXWINGS !

Postby Bob McCurley » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:54 am

JAN. 2ND 10-40AM WAXWINGS 17 KINNORDY TERRACE ( OUTSIDE MY HOUSE ! ) ONLY SECOND TIME I

HAVE SEEN THEM FROM MY BEDROOM WINDOW ! GOOD OMEN FOR THE YEAR ? HOPE SO !

L. Thomson

Postby L. Thomson » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:30 pm

Wednesday 2nd January : 6 Waxwings at Tesco car park, Montrose at 2.30pm

gus guthrie

Postby gus guthrie » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:47 pm

5 waxwings at Lunan Bay. At the 1st house on the way down to the Hide. At 1.30pm, only stayed briefly before disappearing west.

Barry Farquharson

Kinnordy 2/1/13.

Postby Barry Farquharson » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:12 pm

Out from early with Darell Berthon and up to a very wet Loch of Kinnordy. Very quiet out on the water with no sign of the drake Smew that was there until hogmanay. Hoped for Bearded Tits and Bittern failed to show as well. Mallard, Teal, Tufted Duck, Goosander, Goldeneye, Mute Swan, Whooper Swan, Cormorant and Greylag Goose out on the water. A few Carrion Crows over, plus Common Gulls and Lapwings. A single Great Black Backed Gull passed over westwards. A flock of Lesser Redpolls flew around in and out of the reeds. Reed Bunting and Blue Tit foraged around in the reeds as well.

From there we headed to an "Angus Water Feature" which was very quiet also. A female Bullfinch was perched on a fence, and two Crossbills were feeding in the Larches by the side of the road. Two Cormorants were swimming around out in the middle of the reservoir. Not much happening up by the car park, except 2 Mute Swans out on the water, but a couple of Buzzards were seen on the way back out. A small flock of Mallards drew our attention, but a bird a little closer in caused us to stop for a better look. A Black Throated Diver - probably the birding highlight so far - drifting along on its own.

Reekie Linn was the next destination where we were hoping for Dipper, but the high water levels had us thinking it was unlikely that we would see one. Fortunately the white breast shows really well and within a minute one was spotted in at the water's edge on the opposite bank, before it flew upstream. Great Tit, Blue Tit, Chaffinch, Rook and Tree Sparrow were seen in the bushes and trees by the road and the house on the hill.

Nothing much was on Loch of Lintrathen except another Goosander and a distant Goldeneye, but up the hill a flock of Chaffinches and a couple of Magpies were foraging around in a stubble field. A Kestrel flew up onto the wires from a small tree.
Back to Kinnordy where we added Goldcrest, Coal Tit and Wren and managed closer views of Lesser Redpoll before we headed for home. A Kestrel was across the far side of the loch. Pheasant, Herring Gull, Woodpigeon and Jackdaw were all seen while in transit between places.

Alex Shepherd

2/1/2013, Curlew flock and various

Postby Alex Shepherd » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:43 pm

2/1/2013, 1410, St Vigeans Nature Trail, Curlew

178 Curlew in flooded field viewed from start of Nature Trail north and west of St Vigeans, possibly those which are seen at Condor. Confirmed count from photos.

Also 3 Heron, 5 Black-backed gulls, 6 Redwing, 2 Wigeon, 37 Crows, 2 Collared Doves, 1 Buzzard, 7 Moorhen, 33 Mallard, 22 Herring gull.
In garden and/or cemetery at the start of the path, 4 Chaffinch, 6 Blackbird, 7 Coal Tits, 4 Great Tits, 5 Blue Tits, 1 Robin.
This is one of my selected BTO 1km by 1km squares which I'll try to report on weekly throughout the coming year.

richardblackburn

Postby richardblackburn » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:41 pm

Loch of Kinnordy - 3rd Jan

Smew showed well at ~9am in front of the Gullery Hide. Also mute swans, 2 male goosanders, mallards, tufted ducks, goldeneyes, a single cormorant on a pole, loads of greylag geese, teal, 2 buzzards in a distant tree, shoveller (1x m, 1x f), wigeon, 1x gadwall all seen from the hide. 3 deer were seen running across the hay field on the far side of the loch.

1 brambling seen with chaffinches, robins, siskins, blue, coal and great tits all seen whilst walking between the hides. Path to the swamp hide still under water, although the boardwalk is now above the water level - but still inaccessible.

The East hide is now accessible.

From the road, looking towards the loch in front of the swamp hide - loads of greylags inc. a single pink footed goose. Also mute swans, mallards, teal, wigeon and whooper swans seen.

2 magpies seen whilst driving through Forfar.

Balgavies Loch - at least 10 long tailed tits seen briefly on the feeders.

BRIAN LAING

Postby BRIAN LAING » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:09 pm

curlew and oyster catchers auchmithie beach also cormorants further along cliffs buzzard on telegraph pole at old coast guard houses

Charles Rough

Postby Charles Rough » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:44 pm

2 magpies flew over harefield road dundee at 2.35pm

John Fuller

Postby John Fuller » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:56 pm

As Mark said I am going to try and post my sightings instead of just reading others.
Thurs 3rd Jan Loch of Kinnordy:
Smew still about, also seen - Peregrine,Wigeon,Teal, Goldeneye, Tufted Duck, Goosander, Greylag, Pink foot,Whooper, Mute, Cormorant, Mallard, Shoveler, RedPoll-small flock, Chaffinch, Robin, Blackbird,Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Siskin
Also seen near by on Angus Loch:
Black Throated Diver and Cormorant - Very Quiet here.
Muirhead:
Waxwing 15 Edge of village

srgreen

Forfar Loch

Postby srgreen » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:07 pm

I've heard of a third hand report that there was a Bearded Tit (or tits?) near Forfar Loch sail club around Christmas time, no other exact details.
The drake Smew still at Kinnordy Friday 4th Jan, showing well in front of gullery hide late morning.
SRG
Last edited by srgreen on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Caunt
Site Admin

Thursday 3rd January 2013 - AGV Messages

Postby Mark Caunt » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:11 pm

AGV Thursday 3rd January 2013
AGV Male smew seen from Gullery hide, Kinnordy 9:10. Per richard Blackburn

AGV Sea Eagle on Montrose Basin from Lurgies 10.40 GMS

AGV 26 twite at feeding station on way to Wigeon Hide, Montrose. Possible b.n. grebe (needs checked out
- poor view but steep forehead etc) looking S from Maryton Ditch, Montrose at 11.55am. Per GMS

joncook

4th JANUARY 2013 Black-throated Diver

Postby joncook » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:37 pm

Black-throated Diver still present opposite car park at "Angus Water Feature". Patience required, had lunch there but it only appeared after an hour as I had a final check before leaving.
Jon

Alex Shepherd

Friday 4th January - Long-tailed ducks, Montrose Basin

Postby Alex Shepherd » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:34 pm

Date & Time: Friday 4th January 2013 - 12:30pm
Species: Long-tailed duck
Details: 3 Long-tailed duck males feeding in eddy above Shelduck Hide at Montrose Basin, 2 males feeding at the Lurgies and 1 female at Old Montrose Harbour.
2 Red-breasted Mergansers exchanging weed below Old Montrose Harbour, is this pairing behaviour?
1 Goldcrest in bushes near the Slunks.
No sign of White-tailed Eagle today.
Long-tailed duck photos posted in photo section.

Colin Black

Balgavies Loch Fri 4th 3:00pm – 4:00pm.

Postby Colin Black » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:28 pm

Long-tailed Duck, Water Rail, Goldfinch, 2x Dabchicks, 2x Reed Bunting, lots of Goldeneye, Tufted Duck and Greylags.

barry shaw

Postby barry shaw » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:01 pm

Excellent view of a White tailed sea eagle today in the fields just behind inveraldie tealing.It was very low and to me it didn't look in good health seemed to be a bit shaky on the wing,it managed to get a bit of height and flapped towards the emmock rd/ Dundee.Didn't see any wing tag

jimcobb

Postby jimcobb » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:44 pm

60 waxwings between Mckinnon centre and Panmure St.Broughty Ferry with lots of berries there 1pm 5/1/2013 Jim&Jean Cobb

BRIAN LAING

Postby BRIAN LAING » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:47 pm

Grey heron carlinheugh Bay 9 40 am today the 5th

gus guthrie

Postby gus guthrie » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:27 pm

had a run round some of our local glens today with my daughter Alex, saw Black-throated Diver, Ravens,Dipper, Mistle Thrush, 20+ Red Grouse, 12 Blackcock and Alex had a Merlin too.

simonbusuttil

Postby simonbusuttil » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:37 pm

Barnacle goose with ca 4000 pink-feet between Kirriemuir and Forfar today ca 1100 hrs

Barbara Grimmond

male blackcap in garden, Grangehill Drive, Monifieth

Postby Barbara Grimmond » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:11 pm

Male blackcap eating soft pear which I stick on the branches of a small tree, first one I have seen in the garden
this winter.
Garden really busy this afternoon, several visits from long tailed tits, treecreeper, goldcrest and starlings.
Female siskin, pair collared doves. Loads of bluetits, coaltits and some great tits.
Male and female great spotted woodpeckers.
Bluetit has been spending the night in the camera nestbox since at least 14th October, could have been longer, that is the first time I checked. Went in at 3.20pm today.
Single goldcrest has been seen several times most days since 13th October.
Single goldfinch in garden briefly today, on 25th and 26th October a sparrowhawk pulled a goldfinch from inside the squirrel
resistant feeder, rarely see goldfinches now.

Dave Adam

Glen Esk 6 Jan 13

Postby Dave Adam » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:50 pm

2 x Magpie - Rocks of Solitude area,
3 x Goosander, 1 x Whooper Swan, 2 x Goldeneye - Loch Lee.

gus guthrie

Postby gus guthrie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:22 pm

Barn Owl, 1m west of Padanaram School on minor road. 9pm.

Mickey Mellon

Postby Mickey Mellon » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:15 am

Mon 7 Jan Elliot nice sight flock of mixed Linnets and Yellowhammers on phone wire with a Kestrel about 10 feet to the left of them. They only moved when the Kestrel moved. Also Snipe a golf course. Just back from down south so Happy New year to one and all. mickey

Allan Hall

Postby Allan Hall » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:14 pm

Roundyhill
Tonight at 8pm Barn Owl again on A928 just north of Pluckerston farm NO525383.

Alex Shepherd

Tuesday 8th January 2013 - Black-throated diver

Postby Alex Shepherd » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:19 am

Date & Time: Tuesday 8th January 2013 - 1:45pm
Species: Black-throated diver
Details: First seen from the dam and then identified from the west bank about 1km north of the dam, would have been better viewed from east bank, roadside.
3 Mistle Thrush at Dam and Buzzard on hill to east.

Kinnordy, 10.15am, Treecreeper near walkway to Swamp Hide. 3.00pm, Smew swam east past the East Hide.

iain buik

Postby iain buik » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:22 am

Blackbird in full song at midnight tonight !! under the security lights at British Oxygen Depot. (Non Water Feature in Dundee Area)Is this the first sign of Spring? or will we be up to the armpits in snow by the weekend!!

Allan Hall

Postby Allan Hall » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:47 pm

Kinnordy. Male smew again showing well this morning at the east end of the Loch, visible from both Gullery and East hides

Alex Shepherd

Wednesday 9th January 2013 - Lurgies, Montrose Basin

Postby Alex Shepherd » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:03 am

Date & Time: Wednesday 9th January 2013 - 1.00pm - 3.00pm
Species: Merlin, Water Rail, Snipe, Peregrine and more.
Details: Female Merlin in tree near car park, Water Rail calling in reeds next to car park, 2 Long-tailed duck males 100 metres from car park, 1 Snipe flew overhead, 4 Goldcrest in bushes opposite Shelduck Hide. Peregrine flew over from Slunks, 6 Goldeneye near Shelduck Hide, 2 Herons, 1 Greenshank, 5 Redshank, 6 unknown waders and 1 Merganser.
Tide had turned 1 hour earlier, sunny initially, well worth a visit if you can suffer the cold and stand still! Photos confirmed all but Water Rail and Snipe.

Bob McCurley

Jan 10th Barry Buddon Birds

Postby Bob McCurley » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:26 pm

JAN. . 10th 12-30pm WAXWINGS 30 MERLIN 1 BULLFINCH 6 MAGPIE 1 CURLEW 11

JAN 10TH 12-40PM BAR TAILED GODWIT 250 OYSTERCATCHERS 150 AT SHORELINE MONIFIETH END OFCAMP

richardblackburn

Jan 9th

Postby richardblackburn » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:03 pm

"Angus Water Feature"
Black throated diver halfway down loch. 2 mute swan with mallards and a grey heron up a tree at the far end. 2 mistle thrush, 2 buzzards also seen. A single female goosander.

Between Reekie Linn and Peel House farm - large flock of chaffinches with a few brambling constantly crossing road from trees to fields and back again.

Lintrathen
Loads of wigeon, some swans and cormorants in trees near the old hide. New hide locked with some damage to path screen. Goldeneye, mallards, coots and little grebe seen there.

Kinnordy
Path to swamp hide now dry. Loads of whooper swans at swamp hide. Loads of greylag geese in front of gullery hide. Also seen - goldeneye, teal, wigeon, goosander, mute swans.

richardblackburn

Jan 10th - Montrose Basin - Shelduck hide - high tide (12:00

Postby richardblackburn » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:06 pm

Path very muddy in places.

Robin, blackbirds and long tailed tits seen at junction of path and road from the farm. Twite (with chaffinches) seen at junction of paths to the 2 hides (birds on twiggy trees slightly down road to wigeon hide - niger seed on the roadway in front of trees and fence).

Shelduck hide - 3 long tailed ducks, goldeneye, oystercatcher, redshanks, herring and black headed gulls, mute swans and little grebes.

Alex Shepherd

Thursday 10th January 2013 - Kingfisher

Postby Alex Shepherd » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:46 pm

Date & Time: Thursday 10th January 2013 - 1.30pm
Species: Kingfisher
Details: Female Kingfisher in the bay next to Tayock Hide moving between driftwood perches. Near to high tide, water flat calm and intermittently bright/dull.
Also male Sparrowhawk near car park and large flock of what I think were Dunlin and Knot behind houses at Tayock retreating from the incoming tide.
Attached photo during dull phase from 50-70 metres.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bob McCurley

Jan 12th NUTHATCH

Postby Bob McCurley » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:41 pm

JAN 12TH 1350HRS. NUTHATCH - CAMPERDOWN PARK - AT BACK OF RANGERS MANSION - GO PAST THE FEEDERS AT BACK OF MANSION AND LOOK LEFT - IT SHOWED ( NOT IMMEDIATELY ) HIGH UP ON TALL DECIDEOUS TREE STANDING BETWEEN TWO HIGH CONIFERS - GOT A.D.B.C AGV. CONTACT MOBILE MESSAGE OF BARRY'S FIND AND WENT STRAIGHT UP - A GREAT BIRD - ALSO 2 GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKERS PRESENT IN SAME AREA

Return to “Past Records - 2012 to 2013”