12 - DECEMBER 2016 BIRD SIGHTINGS (ANGUS)

Past Bird & Wildlife Sightings Are Posted Here!

Moderator: Mark Caunt

joncook

Re: DECEMBER 2016 Colour-ringed Waxwings

Postby joncook » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:28 pm

Grampian Ringing Group have colour-ringed over 300 Waxwings this year and have asked us to keep an eye open for them and check your photographs. Please report sightings of colour-ringed birds to http://grampianringing.blogspot.com/ or raymond@waxwing.fsnet.co.uk.
Thanks
Jon

Alex Shepherd

Little Egret

Postby Alex Shepherd » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:29 pm

The Little Egret was on the shingle island on the North Esk Estuary at Kinnaber today.
Also seen, Snipe, Red-breasted Merganser, Stonechat, Sparrowhawk, Little Grebe, Goldeneye, Wigeon, Buzzard and a Kestrel.

Elsewhere, two Shore Larks still at Tentsmuir yesterday. From the Kinshaldy car park walk north along the dunes to the lagoon and the birds were 200 metres to the south of the fence line. Remember two pound coins for the car park barrier.

colinlamond

Re: DECEMBER 2016 ANGUS BIRD SIGHTINGS

Postby colinlamond » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:52 pm

This morning I was out at Kinnordy Loch. The mallards and teal were active and noisy and numerous. There were also some wigeon duck, a few gadwall and one shoveler. Down at the east end of the loch I saw two goosander, a few goldeneye and some tufted duck. There were also some whooper swans some of which were being harried by the mute swans.There feeders were refreshed before I left and they attracted many tree sparrows, tits and chaffinch.
In mid-morning I was in Kirriemuir town centre and about 20 waxwing flew over.
In the afternoon we walked around the Forfar Loch. The strong wind meant most of the waterfowl were down at the leisure centre end. There were mallard, gadwall, teal. There were quite a few dabchick, goldeneye and tufted duck. i saw one pochard among the tufted duck.
There were four goosanders.
Around the loch we saw one magpie.

colinlamond

Re: DECEMBER 2016 ANGUS BIRD SIGHTINGS

Postby colinlamond » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:55 pm

We went up to Kinnordy Loch this morning before flying home. There were notably less duck than yesterday.
We found the green-winged teal which was in front of the gullery hide.

Return to “Past Records - 2016 to 2017”