TAY REED BEDS

General Discussion Of Anything Bird Related Local or Abroad. Post your Birding Diary Blogs Here Also.

Moderators: Mark Caunt, joncook, gus guthrie

stevendoig

TAY REED BEDS

Postby stevendoig » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:43 am

Hoping to go and look for Bearded Tits tommorow, I've been down to the reed beds a few times, with no luck , so I was hoping someone could reccomend a couple of 'hot spots' where I would have the best chances?!

Many thanks.

burnie

Re: TAY REED BEDS

Postby burnie » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:34 pm

Can I bump this to the top as I too have never seen this bird,any recent sightings?

stevendoig

Postby stevendoig » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:47 am

Went out at beginning of the year and found them!! Parked at end of road at Port Allen. (Just past Erroll) Walked alongside the reeds past the wee lochan (plenty of wildfowl), stopped at a couple of open spaces - no luck, then eventually ended up at at a open path/scrappy ground. Walked down towards the reeds and eventually found a wee path noo more than 3 feet wide. This (dangerous!) path takes you right down to the Tay, and is quite atmospheric as you're surrounded by the reeds! Anyway, not too far in I encountered the Beardies!! Walked all the way down for some good birds on the mudflats. On way back, sat for a wee while in the aforementioned scrappy ground and for five minutes I was surrounded by the wee monkeys!!

Hope this helps, I'm not very good at describing things!!

Derek Flynn

Postby Derek Flynn » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:27 pm

Took a trip out this Saturday morning - walked east from Port Allen and heard them chattering and pinging just east of Daleally Farm, pretty much in line with the edge of Errol Park. Fantastic views of 15+ Beardies.

Return to “General Discussion and Birding Diary Blogs”