Identifying Ringed Birds?

General Discussion Of Anything Bird Related Local or Abroad. Post your Birding Diary Blogs Here Also.

Moderators: Mark Caunt, joncook, gus guthrie

Alex Shepherd

Identifying Ringed Birds?

Postby Alex Shepherd » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:11 pm

Hi, I'm new to all of this and thought someone out there could probably answer my question about how to identify birds from the rings on their legs. I did manage once before to send a picture of a Shag to the BTO who then gave me the background to the bird. I hope I've attached a photo of what I think is a Greenshank I've had since February taken at the Lurgies at Montrose Basin on 6/2/2012, but I couldn't find who would be interested in the rings or how to find out more information myself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Alex Shepherd on Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grant Balfour

Re: Identifying Ringed Birds?

Postby Grant Balfour » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:20 am

Chris McGuigan is involved with the Greenshank colour ringing project & has been keeping track of these birds. He checks this forum quite often so should pick up this message. I'll pass on the details anyway.

Alex Shepherd

Re: Identifying Ringed Birds?

Postby Alex Shepherd » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:57 pm

The date below the picture is correct, I always add the date to photos so I can keep track of them. It was taken on 6/2/2012 and was still there the next day.
Thanks for the info.

Return to “General Discussion and Birding Diary Blogs”