Text news

General Discussion Of Anything Bird Related Local or Abroad. Post your Birding Diary Blogs Here Also.

Moderators: Mark Caunt, joncook, gus guthrie

srgreen

Text news

Postby srgreen » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:15 pm

Hi all, just a wee reminder that it would be helpful if members of the phone text system could actually put news that they know about onto that system. It's apparent that at least twice in the last fortnight that members of that group have seen, or been made aware of by external sources, birds that were deserving of going onto the system, but for whatever reason they didn't bother themseleves. I won't name and shame.

If people that are text-vine members aren't going to bother putting news they know of onto the system then thats fine, but they cant then moan when the tables are turned and they miss out, and they should also consider why bother staying on that list at all. (Especially annoying to guys like me that religiously put news out on texts INSTANTLY, thereby enabling people to get out and see the bird in question almost immediately etc)

Suffice to say, these systems will only work if people actually make the effort.

Rant over, SRG

richardblackburn

Re: Text news

Postby richardblackburn » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:31 pm

I have a query about the text-vine. Can any member of the ADBC send in sightings and if so, do you just reply to a AGV alert or should they be sent to a particular number? Thanks

srgreen

Postby srgreen » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:54 pm

Hi Richard, I could be wrong, but as far as I understand it members on joining the ADBC have the option to join in (or not) with the phone system. I'm not sure what you would do if you opted out initially, then wanted to opt in etc. Maybe Mark, or someone from the ADBC Committee could advise further on that, cheers, Stuart

Mark Caunt
Site Admin

Postby Mark Caunt » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:30 pm

HI all, I think we need an article in the club news letter to get matters straight so everyone knows whats happening!

I agree with Stuart with a couple of recent sightings. I never received the text so it never got sent out...
If you see anything, EVEN repeat news, or ANOTHER waxwing, please text your news to me on my mobile. (its the same mobile number you receive the messages from!)
If its not relevant to putting out or not "scarce" enough then I wont put it out....but no harm has been done. Better that side of caution then not at all.

I have a wee word with Newsletter editor and we will get something printed so people know exactly where they stand, what to do and what to text (time, map ref, etc.)

We will never get perfection but improvements' the biggest room in the world right!?

joncook

Postby joncook » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:05 pm

Hi All,
Thanks for raising this Stuart. The following appeared in the July 2011 ADBC Newsletter, a revised version will appear in the March 2013 issue:

How to use the Text Grapevine and AngusBirding.com
It can be confusing that there are two systems in operation. The following will hopefully guide members on which to use and when.
The Text Grapevine (available to ADBC Members only)
If you are fortunate enough to find a bird seldom seen in Angus, such as Avocet, Temminck’s Stint or Wood Sandpiper to quote a few recent examples, please post it on the Text Grapevine. Send a text headed AGV to Mark Caunt on 07707624756 giving the details of the bird, time and location. If not a well known location give a six figure map reference if possible. The aim is to allow other members to find and see the bird, so the more information the better. Mark will forward the text to all members of the Text Grapevine as soon as possible. There is no need for members to take any action on receipt of the message.
AngusBirding.com (available to members and non-members)
Use this to share information on less rare but nevertheless interesting finds and for early and late sightings of migrants, unusual bird behaviour etc. Also log your sightings which have already gone out on the Text Grapevine as not all our members have signed up for texts.
Please note that your sightings should still be logged on BirdTrack as well. BirdTrack is the only method of ensuring that your records can be used for both our local Bird Report and national research.

For a fuller list of species to report on the Text Grapevine, I would suggest all those on the Scottish and Local Bird records Committees lists, see the Angus & Dundee Bird Report 2009 pages 105 - 106, plus other less common species such as Green & Wood Sandpiper, Little Stint, Yellow-browed Warbler, Waxwing etc.

Any ADBC members not currently on the Text Grapevine who wish to join should text Mark on the number above giving their mobile phone number.

Hope this clarifies the situation.

Jon

Mark Caunt
Site Admin

Postby Mark Caunt » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:10 pm

thanks for the post Jon!

srgreen

Postby srgreen » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:25 pm

Yes Jon, cheers for that, but I dont think the two systems are confusing at all, they both serve the same purpose, just that the phone text one is (or should be) the quickest method of getting news out, as most, if not all of us, use mobile phones nowadays. My point was more that people were receiving certain info from outwith the text-vine and acting on it, or indeed watching the actual bird, but not bothering to forward it onto the text-vine they belong to in order to give other people the chance of getting along there quickly, rather than waiting til nightfall and posting it on the web etc. SRG

Return to “General Discussion and Birding Diary Blogs”