white tailed eagles

General Discussion Of Anything Bird Related Local or Abroad. Post your Birding Diary Blogs Here Also.

Moderators: Mark Caunt, joncook, gus guthrie

BRIAN LAING

white tailed eagles

Postby BRIAN LAING » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:12 am

My wife and I on holiday on the isle of mull this week 29/6/2013 while out looking for white tailed eagles 30/06/13 we happened to come across a very wealthy landowner on his grounds and got talking about white tailed eagles on mull my wife and I did not know what to say when he told us his opinion of white tailed eagles he stated that they had killed around 40 lambs this year alone on his land and although they might be spectacular birds to see they are in his opinion killing machines and that they should be all killed he of course knew this was illegal and would never do this it got us wondering what other landowners actually thought of those birds and indeed other birds of prey ?

Mark Caunt
Site Admin

Re: white tailed eagles

Postby Mark Caunt » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:13 pm

am I wrong in saying that farmers are compensated for lambs that are killed by eagles? or is that a myth?

BRIAN LAING

Postby BRIAN LAING » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:55 pm

With regards to my earlier message about sea eagles on isle of mull having been holidaying here all week and considering this is an island that makes a lot of money through tourism to see those sea eagles a lot of people mainly land owners seem to have very few good things to say about them being here in fact I have came across an article published in a local news magazine by a freelance journalist wich has comments from farmers and council members describing them as murderous things to many on the island and that they are causing a lot of difficulties to quite a few farmers as they are takinga lot of lambs and one said eagles had been circling his fields and had pecked the eyes out of a 2 day old lamb the mull community council also have turned down a request to put up a bronze statue of a sea eagle at the ferry arrival point on the island with a farmer saying the last thing they should be doing is glorifying those murderous things and another saying they had to many sea eagles already without having a statue of 1 to I find this a bit strange as the article also states that sea eagles bring in around 5 million a year as visitors flock to see them I have brought page from the local magazine home if any one wants to read the full article about this my self and my wife have seen sea eagles every day for the past week without to much bother so there is a lot of them about I was told about 25 percent of all sea eagles are on mull but I don't know if this is correct edited this morning 5/7/13 9am was out early this morning and once agsain bumped into another land owner who raged on about horrendous sea eagles she told me there are 15 pairs and young on island and that they are destroying farmers livestock massively and that they receive no compensation at all I can honestly say I have never heard so much hatred aimed towards eagles as I have heard daily this past week land owners here seem very angry towards sea eagles being here in there hands there outlook I think would be very bleak

Allan Hall

Postby Allan Hall » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:44 pm

I think Chris's "mirror" comment sums the situation up brilliantly. Similar attitudes exist all over, including much closer to home, and including all birds and mammals of prey. The hostility to anyone walking open ground with binoculars tells us something. I have just driven from end to end of the Balmoral estate and did not feel overwhelmed by my raptor count.

joncook

Postby joncook » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:19 pm

Slightly off-topic, but I sense a theme here. Not long back from Islay, where according to the NFU officer we were staying with, the farmers blame excess raptor numbers for the decline of the Choughs. This decline could of course have nothing to do with the powerful anti-parasitic drugs that they dose their livestock with killing the invertebrates the Choughs feed on!

Presumably the attitude to Sea Eagle and other raptors will depend very much on the circumstances of the farmer/landowner. Those making money from B&B/holiday cottages/farm shops will be supporters, the others will at best see the birds as a nuisance bringing unwanted intruders to their land.

However there is the occasional ray of hope. We had an interesting conversation this spring with the stalker at Moulzie, Glen Clova (part of the Balmoral Estate). He was clearly intensely proud and protective of his Golden Eagles and Peregrines and works closely with the Angus Rangers to look after them.

Jon

Return to “General Discussion and Birding Diary Blogs”