Poisoned Golden Eagle

General Discussion Of Anything Bird Related Local or Abroad. Post your Birding Diary Blogs Here Also.

Moderators: Mark Caunt, joncook, gus guthrie

Dave Adam

Poisoned Golden Eagle

Postby Dave Adam » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:54 pm

Bad news, yet another immature Golden Eagle has been found poisoned by Carbofuran in upper Glen Lethnot. Fearnan was a satellite tracked bird from Glen Lyon originally tagged by Keith Brockie and Duncan Orr-Ewing in 2011

Mike Fenton

Re: Poisoned Golden Eagle

Postby Mike Fenton » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:31 am

shocking news, makes my blood boil to hear of stories like this. as chris said hopefully a prosecution can be brought against the estate owner, a heavy one at that!

Dave Adam

Postby Dave Adam » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:24 pm

The eagle wandered around the marches between Invermark, Hunthill, Glen Muick and Clova. As far as I can make out from the tracking map it ended up on Hunthill beyond the Shielin of Saughs. I will have a look this weekend if weather is reasonable.

Mark Caunt
Site Admin

Postby Mark Caunt » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:42 pm

BBC News Article - Police appeal after golden eagle poisoned in Angus
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-25455234
Disgusting and horrible news but sadly not that shocking with the mentality of some in the Angus Glens...

Neil Young

Postby Neil Young » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:59 pm

A great deal is made about how much money shooting estates bring to the Scottish economy, but (in my opinion) when something as dreadful
as this happens it is clear that they (the minority) bring NOTHING to Scotland or its economy. The owners of these estates should be held to account,
but they will (as usual) deny any knowledge and plead ignorance. Someone out there MUST know who/where/when this happens, and they should be encouraged
to come forward. The fact that some of the estates are owned and run by non-local folk has to have a bearing on their behaviour, as they are almost
completely detached from the local communities, and obviously have NO real interest in the indigenous local wildlife, and are completely driven by
making as much out of what is one of the most beautiful areas of Scotland, at ANY cost.

Dave Adam

Postby Dave Adam » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:44 pm

Visited this site on Saturday 21st Dec 2013 here is my story;

http://davidadamsketchbook.blogspot.co. ... thnot.html

gus guthrie

Postby gus guthrie » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:03 am

Dave Adam wrote:Visited this site on Saturday 21st Dec 2013 here is my story;

http://davidadamsketchbook.blogspot.co. ... thnot.html

I went up here yesterday and the notice on the gate had been torn off, just the drawing pins left.
I guess as far as the Estates are concerned its a closed matter.

weather was great, no sign of any raptors but saw plenty Red Grouse, lost count at around 180.
Only other birds I saw were 2 Ravens in the distance.

Dave Adam

Postby Dave Adam » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:32 am

Well done Chris, but it seems that the message is not getting through to some estates.
We can all legitimately visit Angus shooting estates to walk and observe, and by doing that at least we make local game-keepers/shepherds/land managers aware that someone out there is concerned and trying to keep an eye on things.
I am sure that we all have been in a situation where one visit yields a raptor sighting that indicates territorial behaviour and then on subsequent visits that raptor is never seen again, ie WTE's in an Angus glen. What do we do about something that seems suspicious? Tell others about it, Tayside Raptor Study Group, RSPB or the wildlife crime officer.
After all, bird watching should encompass an awareness of that bird's circumstances and not just seen as a tick in your log.

Return to “General Discussion and Birding Diary Blogs”