St Vigeans and Arbroath Cliffs Club Trip, Sunday 26th

General Discussion Of Anything Bird Related Local or Abroad. Post your Birding Diary Blogs Here Also.

Moderators: Mark Caunt, joncook, gus guthrie

Alex Shepherd

St Vigeans and Arbroath Cliffs Club Trip, Sunday 26th

Postby Alex Shepherd » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:19 am

Members should meet in the public car park on the north side of the Brothock Burn best accessed by taking the last road to the left past the Golden Lion Garage when leaving Arbroath going north at 10am. This will ensure easy navigation to the second part of the trip at Arbroath Cliffs starting at Whiting Ness at the end of Victoria Park. I have provided access to some maps which show how to get to St Vigeans, the areas we hope to cover and an old map I have from kayaking the cliffs. Click this link to access the files and right click each file and select download to get a copy of the maps.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... XZUVVhXVW8 The postcode for satnavs appears to be DD11 4RA for the houses at the end of the road to the small car park.

There are two parts to the St Vigeans area, one follows the nature trail west and the other goes through towards Hercules Den. Today both of these were covered in two and a half hours but this involved many stops for photos. I have recorded 47 species in the area but can't say we'll see that many, photos from today are on my blog here, http://aberbrothock.blogspot.co.uk/

It will be low tide when we travel to the cliffs and it's possible waders will be on the foreshore near the cliffs, Sandwich Tern numbers are increasing and gulls, auks and farmland species can be seen from the cliff path. It's intended that this will be a trip where members can become aware of the sites around Arbroath and when to visit them for the best experience.

Alex

Return to “General Discussion and Birding Diary Blogs”