WILDLIFE SIGHTINGS 2008

Past Bird & Wildlife Sightings Are Posted Here!

Moderator: Mark Caunt

Mark Caunt
Site Admin

WILDLIFE SIGHTINGS 2008

Postby Mark Caunt » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:01 pm

Wildlife Sightings for 2008

Mark Caunt
Site Admin

Wednesday 13th February 2008 - Ermine Stoat

Postby Mark Caunt » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:47 pm

Date & Time: Wednesday 13th February 2008 - 10:30pm
Species: Ermine Stoat
Details: Saw a nice Ermine Stoat this morning at 10:30 in full winter coat at Murton Nature Reserve.
It was only 5 foot away from me as I sat on the 1st bench from the main visitors carpark.
At times standing on back legs and sniffing the air, as it searched through a pile of branches just over the wall.

Dave Adam

Otters on Angus river

Postby Dave Adam » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:43 pm

Nice views tonight of a couple of Otters on the river. I think they are adolescent cubs, both of equal size, always squabbling and girning at each other with Hyena like chattery growls yet keeping in very close contact with each other.
Their whistles vary in strength from a loud piercing to softer piping. I was alerted to them on the river-bank by a scolding call which sounded a bit like a Moorhen's 'ch-gerruck'. One was nuzzling into the soft bank then munching as the other squirmed over and under it trying to pirate the chewables!
I suspect mum was somewhere mid stream but I didn't catch sight of her, the cubs stay with her for a year. Using a night scope is not easy, if you use infra red all the lit up twigs, branches and frosty breath reflect back into the scope and blind it. Good moonlight is best for a night scope.
They disappeared very quickly downstream using very relaxed swishes from their tails - occasional whistles in the distance - too swift for me to keep up with in the dark.

Mark Caunt
Site Admin

Saturday 1st March 2008 - Fox

Postby Mark Caunt » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:44 pm

Date & Time: Saturday 1st March 2008 - 10:30pm
Species: Fox
Details: Seeing a Fox fairly regularly in evenings near Auchmithie these days.
Particulary on the main Auchmithie Road between the Windyhills turn off and half a mile before that at the Auchmithie turn off.
Seen tonight at 10:30, good views as we slowed in the car and it slowly crossed over in our headlights.

Roy Adamson

Stoats. Newmill, nr Lunan Bay

Postby Roy Adamson » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:20 pm

We have constant, almost daily sightings of stoats in the garden. It's at this time of year when you know that there is more than one. 9 am today, I saw one with almost all of its winter coat gone. Five minutes later a pure white ermine was playing on the lawn.

Dave Adam

Snared Fox

Postby Dave Adam » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:31 pm

Found a snared vixen tonight. She was leaping around frantically, gasping for freedom, only to be yanked back by the 8 foot wire - choking. Every escape attempt ended by her chewing on the wire and then digging, scraping and biting into the hill-side trying to dig in.
This snare is legal but destroying it is illegal; what do you do?
It is impossible to help, all the options just don't add up and I decide to leave her.
I will check 24 hours later to see if the keeper has kept his legal obligation.
I do wonder about protected animals like Otters or Badgers though, how does a keeper release these once caught. Nearly impossible I reckon.
I signed the anti-snaring petition that recently went before the Scottish Parliament too. Feel frustrated and sad.

Mark Caunt
Site Admin

Postby Mark Caunt » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:59 pm

Very sad Dave. Any further developments?

Dave Adam

Re: 2008 WILDLIFE SIGHTINGS - ADD CURRENT SIGHTINGS HERE

Postby Dave Adam » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:37 pm

Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to check .

Charles Rough

Postby Charles Rough » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:43 am

one of the kinnordy otters was swimming in front of both gullery and east hide 19/03/08

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/05.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/08.jpg

Charles Rough

Postby Charles Rough » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:44 am

came across first frog spawn of the year toady under melting ice in glen doll
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/frg.jpg

Nicola Main

Postby Nicola Main » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:43 pm

Saw my first Peacock butterfly this afternoon at about 1.20pm in a car park in Carnoustie.

HarryB

Peacock Butterfly sightings

Postby HarryB » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:20 pm

You all may remember, last year there was a survey of Orange-tipped Butterflies.
A similar survey is taking place this year and the subject is; Peacock Butterflies.
There are postcards at the SWT Centre, Moontrose, for you to send your records in.
Well done, Nicola! You got the first one!
Peacock_Butterfly.jpg

Peacock_text.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Better to be helpful, than hurtful!

Alan Mowat

lack of frogs

Postby Alan Mowat » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:31 am

Not so much a wildlife sighting but lack of it.
My local loch ordy at the gannochy used to have a huge population of spawning frogs, followed 2 weeks after the frogs left with the same amount of toads.
Over the last few years the frog population has rapidly diminished until, last year there was just 2 sets of spawn in the entire loch and this year none at all. There still remains the same amount of toads which i would estimate at somewhere between 500 and a 1000, but no frogs what so ever.
If i go out on the hills there still seems to be plenty frogs but nothing lower down. Has anyone else seen similar in their area?

Regards

Alan

HarryB

Frogs and Toads

Postby HarryB » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:46 am

Hi ,
Jim Ganrnes, with Eduardo, found and hear lots of frogs spawning along the path to Montreathmont Hide about a month ago, but don't know how the very cold snap affected them.
Eduardo took a picture in which he later counted 40 frogs in the one pool.
I was at the Curlie Pond in Montrose 2 weeks ago and saw the biggest number of Toads I've ever seen, mating in the dense reed bed at the north end of the pond. No sign of them at all on Tuesday this week.

stevendoig

Postby stevendoig » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:58 pm

I have a tiny (3foot by 2ft) garden pond. I had two lots of frog spawn last year, and six this year! Far too much, i had to move the majority of it to my faithers (much larger) pond.

Mark Caunt
Site Admin

Tuesday 22nd April 2008 - Bottlenose Dolphin

Postby Mark Caunt » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:57 am

Date & Time: Tuesday 22nd April 2008 - 9:00am
Species: Bottlenose Dolphin
Details: At least 6x Bottlenose Dolphin showing just south of Castlesea Bay, South of Auchmithie at 9 this morning. Heading north.

Mark Caunt
Site Admin

Monday 6th May 2008 - Orange Tip

Postby Mark Caunt » Tue May 06, 2008 10:05 pm

Date & Time: Monday 6th May 2008
Species: Orange Tip Butterfly
Details: Orange Tip Butterfly in my parents garden at Finavon by Forfar.
Not sure how scarce they are but its been a while since I've seen one.

Nicola Main

Postby Nicola Main » Fri May 09, 2008 7:25 pm

Snap Mark but mine was seen on the Tuesday! One Orange-tip in the garden having a silent but furious 'scuffle' with a male Small White.

Mark Caunt
Site Admin

Postby Mark Caunt » Fri May 09, 2008 8:58 pm

Nice one Nicola.
Just thinking about your Small White, have you considered that it may have been a female orange tip which has black wing tips instead of the males orange? Could have been a courtship display. Both sexes have mottled undersides which would distinguish it from a small white.

Dave Adam

Lutra Lutra Doon the Water.

Postby Dave Adam » Sat May 10, 2008 12:04 am

Some cracking sights of the Otter on the river this evening. I was trail-blazing through the dreaded Giant Hogweed when I suddenly saw movement on the opposite bank. An Otter was wasting daylight time by playing and 'porpoising' on the spot around the branches of a tree that had fallen into the water. The body just folds in on itself to dive without splashing. This one is fairly dull grey underneath not showing up with very pale underparts as might be expected. It was glancing up and downstream for a wee while before clocking me and vanished without a trace.
Some time later with light fading, it appeared below my vantage point in a large deep pool 200 metres upstream. Swimming against the current it made rapid progress in a series of butterfly dives along the craggy bank. Its diving body showed up in the dim light as a silvery bubble pursuing, I presume, a wee fish which it brought to the surface and while floating on its back ate it. Other folk have witnessed this 'back-floating' trick but this was my first sight of it. With its tail held rigidly straight yet slightly up from the water surface, head up and belly sunken it could be mistaken for a floating stick any day.
Lots of Bats around the river, chasing each other skimming the water; combination of Otters and Bats remind me of the late David McRae's paintings. I had the privilege of arranging a retrospective exhibition of his work, shortly after his death, for Brechin Arts Festival a few years ago. Don't know if they are Daubentons or Pipistrelles, seem bigger than Pips though. Other waterside sightings include 2 sqabbling Herons, Great-spotted Woodpecker, 2 dog-fighting Dippers, 1 Kingfisher, 2 Roe Deer, 2 Oyster Catcher, 4 Mallards and 1 Common Sandpiper.

Nicola Main

Postby Nicola Main » Sat May 10, 2008 4:24 pm

[quote="Mark Caunt"]Nice one Nicola.
Just thinking about your Small White, have you considered that it may have been a female orange tip which has black wing tips instead of the males orange? Could have been a courtship display. Both sexes have mottled undersides which would distinguish it from a small white.[/quote]

I did think that too Mark and I tried looking at the white one underneath to see if it had any green veins but I couldn't see any. They were fluttering around at quite some speed so I might have been wrong.

Nicola Main

Postby Nicola Main » Sat May 10, 2008 4:27 pm

Saw one Brown Hare this morning about 11am in a ploughed field just before you enter Easthaven from the west. Grid ref NO587361.

Dave Adam

Solomon's seal Sawfly

Postby Dave Adam » Sat May 10, 2008 4:49 pm

Have these sawflies on my Solomon's seal. They hatch into nice grey caterpillers and strip the leaves bare down to the veins, look at the 'alien mask' on the thorax back.Check out the caterpillar pics on this http://www.srgc.org.uk/discus/messages/1078/35058.html[attachment=0]Solomon's-seal-Sawfly-opt.jpg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Dave Adam on Thu May 15, 2008 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mark Caunt
Site Admin

Saturday 10th May 2008 - Fox

Postby Mark Caunt » Mon May 12, 2008 8:21 pm

Date & Time: Saturday 10th May 2008 - 5:30pm
Species: Fox
Details: Broad daylight at 5:30 this afternoon a Fox ran out across the road in front of me at Seaton, just south of Auchmithie.
Sadly a fox cub dead by the road also at this spot.

Charles Rough

Postby Charles Rough » Tue May 13, 2008 12:02 am

tadpoles plus newts in virtually every pool of standing water in glen doll today ,plus one green tiger beetle
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/k ... /newts.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/k ... beetle.jpg

Dave Adam

Otter Pics

Postby Dave Adam » Thu May 15, 2008 11:52 pm

Thought you would like to see some pics of the Otter on the river. Sorry about the quality they are lifted from my video. Now who do I know that is a good wildlife photographer?
Last edited by Dave Adam on Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:56 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Dave Adam

Otter Pics

Postby Dave Adam » Thu May 15, 2008 11:53 pm

Another Otter pic for you.
Last edited by Dave Adam on Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Caunt
Site Admin

Postby Mark Caunt » Fri May 16, 2008 8:33 am

Do not apologise mate, great shots! Would love to see the video!

Dave Adam

Otter Capers doon the waterside.

Postby Dave Adam » Fri May 16, 2008 10:55 pm

Pair of Otters doing synchro swimming tonight, all fishy cuddles for a wee while. Sound of little five fingered paws in a couple of months no doubt!

stevendoig

Postby stevendoig » Mon May 19, 2008 6:57 pm

Discovered a great place for Brown Hares. Maybe you all know about it anyway! :)

Bottom of suttieside road leading to Carseburn (Forfar) Sometimes seen as many as six in one field alone!

Nicola Main

Postby Nicola Main » Wed May 21, 2008 2:21 pm

One Stoat near the fallen beech tree at Shanwell Wood in Carnoustie today about 11.15am. Managed to get to about 2 or 3 metres from it!

Nicola Main

Postby Nicola Main » Wed May 28, 2008 11:13 am

A Pipistrelle bat flew past our garden last night at 10pm.

Mark Caunt
Site Admin

Thursday 29th May 2008 - Red Fox

Postby Mark Caunt » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:23 pm

Date & Time: Thursday 29th May 2008
Species: Red Fox
Details: Awoken early with RAB's Marsh Warbler news decided I might find a RB Shrike or something so scoured some east coast spots. No birds apart from a Tree Pipit but did see a Fox in the Windyhills Farm Strawberry tunnels (South of Auchmithie).

Not the only Fox encounter though, as at Mains of Usan I stumbled upon 3 Fox cubs playing and jumping on each other outside of a Fox's Den! Watched them for 20 minutes just 15 feet away and during that time they even trotted up the path to inspect me a couple of times as I bobbed down and hid my face behind my camera.

LOADS MORE PICTURES ON WEBSITE: 'CLICK ME'

© All Photographs By Mark Caunt Copyrighted

Mark Caunt
Site Admin

Wednesday 4th June 08

Postby Mark Caunt » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:06 am

Fox again seen crossing road near Seaton (in between Auchmithie and Arbroath) at about 10:15pm tonight, Wednesday 4th June 08.

Nicola Main

Postby Nicola Main » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:55 pm

Went a walk down the golf course today and saw loads of Common Blue Damselflies. Also saw a Small Heath butterfly and a few Small Coppers.

HarryB

Some wild flower records wanted

Postby HarryB » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:11 pm

The folks at the LIVING FIELD STUDY CENTRE, have asked me if I would publish the attached information on ADBC's website.
The request is self-explanatory and the more records they can get, the better the estimate of how these rarer plants are doing.
Thanks
HarryB

HarryB

Postby HarryB » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:23 am

Information required on the following wild flowers in Angus:Please send records
Corn Marigold
Scarlet Pimpernel
Cornflower
The LIVING FIELD STUDY CENTRE at Invergowrie, are looking for records of these plants, which are now becoming rarer.Please send records as shown here on the reproduction of their record card.
Thanks
HarryB
Plant records.jpg

Mark Caunt
Site Admin

9:00pm Friday 20th June 08 - Fox

Postby Mark Caunt » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:29 am

Adult Fox again at Seaton (inbetween Auchmithie & Arbroath) at 9:00pm Friday 20th June 08.

Charles Rough

Postby Charles Rough » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:50 pm

adult mole fell out the sky and landed in front of me at lundie craggs today,a buzzard was seen flying towards me a few seconds earlier ,the mole struggled to walk on the path strewn with small stones but it soon made it to the grass
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/k ... /mole5.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/k ... /mole1.jpg

Mark Caunt
Site Admin

Monday 23rd June - Stoat Family

Postby Mark Caunt » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:27 pm

Date & Time: Monday 23rd June 2008
Species: 4x Stoats
Details: On a country road near Kingsmuir (South of Forfar) a family of 4x Stoats were playing on the road and in the verge.
Chasing pied wagtails and just generally running around. Watched for 15 mins in total.

Return to “Past Records - 2008 to 2009”