WILDLIFE SIGHTINGS 2006

Past Bird & Wildlife Sightings Are Posted Here!

Moderator: Mark Caunt

Mark Caunt
Site Admin

WILDLIFE SIGHTINGS 2006

Post by Mark Caunt »

Wildlife Sightings for 2006
Last edited by Mark Caunt on Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Mark Caunt
Site Admin

Deaths-Head Hawkmoth - Tuesday 4th July 2006

Post by Mark Caunt »

Hugh Bell popped round to my house with this Deaths-Head Hawkmoth recovered from the Arbroath Abbey on Tuesday 4th July 2006.
Unfortunately it was already dead when the Basin Wildlife centre was informed but being in excellent condition thought the photos may interest some! Quite a moth for our area. Maybe dont get the scale from the photos of how big it was but easily the size of my index finger. Cheers Hugh!

HarryB

Bottlenose Dolphins approx. 16.00 hrs Monday 17th July

Post by HarryB »

Hi All,
My wife, Eileen, got at least 10 Bottle-nosed Dolphins today, swimming from the Angus side of the North Esk, into St Cyrus Bay and showing well. Two came within 30 yards of the shore, very close to extremely excited bathers!
Better to be helpful, than hurtful!
HarryB

Bottlenose Dolphins at Usan today (19 July 06)

Post by HarryB »

Two Bottlenose Dolphins, very close in to the rocks at Usan this afternoon
DK

Post by DK »

Saw Mondays batch heading north past the Grannies Garret, Arbroath cliffs at mid-day.
HarryB

Minke Whale at Lunan Bay today 22 July 06

Post by HarryB »

Hi All,
Bob McCurley has just phoned me to tell me he saw a Minke Whale this afternoon, from the ADBC Hide at Lunan Bay.
I undertook to put this report in for him.
On the subject of whales: the next six weeks is the best time for seeing whales in this area, as the vast majority of whale reports are about this time of year.
Also the Press and Journal has carried a story today, remarking on the increased number of Minkes being seen in the North East of Scotland this year.
Mark Caunt
Site Admin

Minke Whales

Post by Mark Caunt »

Birdguides is reporting at least 3 Minke Whales feeding off Rattray Head, Aberdeenshire this morning. Monday 24th July 2006. Keep your eyes peeled... :shock:
DK

Post by DK »

Common Hawker, Common Darter, Common Blue Damselfly, Emerald Damselfly at Crombie Park (N0529401) on 18th July.

Common Blue Damselfly, Blue-tailed Damselfly, Emerald Damselfly, Large Red Damselfly at Montreathmont Moor Pond (NO595532) on 20th July.

Common Hawker, Black Darter, Common Darter, Common Blue Damselfly at Mile Hill Pool (NO375607) on 24th July.
HarryB

Very probable Hummingbird Hawkmoth in Dubton area

Post by HarryB »

Hi All,
I've just had a report of a Hummingbird! from the Dubton area of Montrose.
From the description I subsequently obtained, it's obviously a Hummingbird Hawkmoth. Hughie Bell is going to check it out, but it's probably too late at night to see it now (21.00).
As soon as it's confirmed I'll post it on this website, BUT it is in a private garden.
Watch this space.
HarryB

Hummingbird Hawkmoth

Post by HarryB »

Hi All,
I've just checked with Hughie Bell, and been informed the moth is not as rare here as I thought. (I've never seen one).
Apparently, Mark Caunt (the Moderater for this website) has had one this year and Hughie got one in Hillside Montrose last year and there have been some other sightings locally.
Not just as rare as I thought, apparently!
Hughie informed me there have been recent sightings of Willow Herb Hawk Moth in this area - no details. :?
DK

Post by DK »

Just recorded one today for the Arbroath cliffs, the first one I have seen this year so far. Some years I dont see any. Some places farther up the Angus coast seem to be a bit more lucky. The last two/three years have been good for them but previous to that I found them to be far less common.

Still getting small numbers of The Cinnabar, both moths and larvae at Elliot Links # NO620393. These are easy to miss in amongst the Burnets.

Just had my best ever weekly butterfly count for the Arbroath Cliffs so its a good time for anybody wanting to pick up basic Butterfly ID or take photographs. Plenty of Green-veined White, Common Blue, Meadow Brown, Greyling, Ringlet and Small Tortoiseshell and others in prime condition.
HarryB

Minke and Long-finned Pilot Whale 18.00 25/07/06

Post by HarryB »

This record is very slightly off area, but since St Cyrus Bay and Montrose Bay overlap at the mouth of the North Esk; between Aberdeenshire and Angus, people may like to know, tonight at 18.00, we got 1 Minke Whale and 1 Long-finned Pilot Whale, initially in St Cyrus Bay and drifting to Montrose Bay and then back again.
Mark Caunt
Site Admin

Post by Mark Caunt »

Thanks again for the tip off Harry, the Pilot was a beauty, shame the Minke was a tad shy when we arrived.
Think it did drift into Angus waters briefly though. :wink:
DK

Post by DK »

Also not quite in Angus but the options are very limited in finding them localy - Northern Brown Argus at St Cyrus reserve today.

No sign of them there on my last visit two weeks ago or in Clova earlier this week so they may well be off to a late start this year.
HarryB

Minke and Pilot Whale + Botllenose Dolphins in Montrose Bay

Post by HarryB »

Hi All,
This morning, from Montrose Links Golf Course, a Minke and also a Pilot Whale. Three Bottle-nosed Dolphins at the northern edge of Montrose Bay (Angus) and heading into the bay at St Cyrus (Aberdeenshire).
Any one who finds flowers, moths, butterflies or any other wildlife, including birds, when in Montrose Links Golf Course,
would you please contact me, to let me record what you've seen. The Montrose Links Golf Course have asked us to assist in providing as much detail as possible on what's about on their land, for an environmental impact study and also because they're just plain, interested!
Don't hesitate to contact me, please.
Harry Bickerstaff
DK

Post by DK »

I could do butterflies and day-time macro moths if nobody else signs up for it. I dont know the Montrose Links, if someone else does it would obviously be better left to them.

Where is the best point to access the links ?
HarryB

Montrose Links Golf Course Wildlife information

Post by HarryB »

Hi DK,
The situation is as follows;
The MLGC (Golf Course) are looking for as much wildlife information as possible. They approached the SWT Centre staff to ask for help and I offered to try to cover as much as possible, but given the size and my impaired mobilty, I can only do a bit. However they will welcome any help offered and I told them I'd pass the word around and try to collate all the information for them. If someone else volunteers to do that, I'll happily hand that bit over!
I'd also be prepared to try to co-ordinate volunteers, if required. It's a great place for sea-watching into the bay, because of the height of the dunes and that's why we saw the whales etc. yesterday.
Access is from the area behind the Seaside Splash, but the whole area goes all along the links, which are accessible to anyone, but obviously it's a golf course and due consideration and safety precautions are in order. 'Fore!' means watch out - it's coming your way, as I don't doubt you know already!
If you don't have my email address, I'll send it to you.
Thanks a lot.
Mike, from Arbroath, saw a young fox there this morning and we could also smell them at various parts of the links as we went around yesterday. That sighting is useful and I don't think the foxes are in any danger, as I think the golfers would prefer them. to rabbits, digging up the place.
Harry Bickerstaff
DK

Post by DK »

Butterflies and day-moths done. I will do a follow up visit and type up a species list/report. A bit busy at the moment but should have it done on thursday/friday and get it out to you.

Its like a grassy version of the Cullin Ridge out there :wink:
HarryB

Species list Montrose Links Golf Course

Post by HarryB »

Hi DK,
Thanks for all your efforts (and knowledge). my email address is chookyburd@dsl.pipex.com There's no real secret about that, as anyone signing up for this website, can easily obtain it, as I made sure it would be available to any who require it.
I know Hughie Bell and Gordon Addison are doing night moths there and if you don't know either of them, I'll put you in touch with them. The MLGC has given power for the moth trap which they use and that may be an indication of the golf club's commitment to the whole thing.
Thank you indeed for your work and very kind offer to make it available. The whole project (if that's the right word) will take approx. a year and there's nothing in it for us, other than the sheer pleasure of helping to record what's going on.
Really. Thanks again. [/b]
HarryB

Stoat at SWT Montrose Visitor Centre today 10 August 06

Post by HarryB »

Hi All,
A Stoat is now being seen fairly regularly on the boardwalk round the 'dipping' pool from SWT Centre windows.
It was seen again this morning about 11.00.
There is a suspicion there may be a family of Stoats in that area. Great entertainment watching the wee guy, which seems to enjoy running around that area.
HarryB

Stoat at SWT Montrose (again)

Post by HarryB »

Hi Folks,
Just been informed; there were 3 Stoats at the SWT Centre this morning.
At least I was correct when I informed there may be more than one!
RAB

Minke Whale

Post by RAB »

Minke Whale off Arbroath yesterday, 11/08/06 at about 0700hrs.
DK

Post by DK »

Clouded Yellow (butterfly) turning up along the coast between Arbroath and Lud Castle today.
Mark Caunt
Site Admin

SATURDAY 19th August 2006 - Hummingbird Hawkmoth

Post by Mark Caunt »

Date & Time: SATURDAY 19th August 2006 - 8:15pm
Species: Hummingbird Hawkmoth
Location: Hummingbird Hawkmoth feeding off honeysuckle in my back garden, Auchmithie this evening at 8:15pm.
Alan Leitch

Hummingbird Hawk Moth

Post by Alan Leitch »

Single feeding in our garden in Kirriemuir at 0715hrs - Sun 27th Aug, 2006
Bob McCurley

AUGUST 28TH. COMMA BUTTERFLY

Post by Bob McCurley »

28TH AUGUST -- 1430HRS.PM. -- COMMA BUTTERFLY( polygonia c-album ) 1

IN GARDEN IN BROOK STREET BROUGHT FERRY DUNDEE

SEEN AND PHOTGRAPHED -
Once a Rarity in Britain , has made a great recovery and is it now spreading Northwards into Scotland ? let us hope so , please report any sightings of this Butterfly -- have just learnt that 2 Comma,s were at Monikie Country Park last week ! this is very encourageing news .
DK

Post by DK »

Lions Mane Jellyfish, Cyanea capillata at the Arbroath cliffs in Conning Tower Inlet, The Haven, The Gargoyle and Mariners Grave today.

Also a number of Small Elephant Hawkmoth, Deilephila porcellus larvae visible from the main path.
RAB

Hummingbird Hawk Moth

Post by RAB »

Humming Bird Hawk Moth at Pitmuies Garden, nr Froikheim today (Sat) on buddleia towards bottom of main walled gardens.
Alan Leitch

Hummingbird Hawk Moth

Post by Alan Leitch »

Hummingbird Hawk Moth back in the garden in Slade Gardens, Kirriemuir feeding from our late flowering honeysuckle at 1900hrs.
Dave Adam

Dolphins

Post by Dave Adam »

Dolphins off Tangleha, St.Cyrus on Wed 6th. September at 7pm headed North. Usual bunch I expect, splashing around feeding, really big guy always seems to lead the pod.
Dave Adam

Slow Worm

Post by Dave Adam »

Slow Worm in Glen Esk, on the track to Whitehills water treatment plant on 27th August, first for me in Scotland, pretty wee job about the size of a big garden worm.
Dave Adam

Slow Worm Picture

Post by Dave Adam »

Nicola Main

Comma butterfly

Post by Nicola Main »

Yesterday at 2.30pm Comma butterfly basking on rock in the company of dragonflies. GR NO 551 349. Carnoustie. Sent an email to Butterfly Conservation about it waiting for their reply. Regards, Nicola Main.
Mark Caunt
Site Admin

WEDNESDAY 20th September 2006 - Hummingbird Hawkmoth

Post by Mark Caunt »

Date & Time: WEDNESDAY 20th September 2006 - 10:45am
Location: Hummingbird Hawkmoth feeding on fuchsia bushes in a private garden down Taranty Road, Forfar, this morning.
Hugh Bell

Hummingbird Hawkmoth sighting

Post by Hugh Bell »

Hummingbird Hawkmoth feeding on Buddleja at Montrose Basin Visitor Centre 17:00hrs today.
Mark Caunt
Site Admin

FRIDAY 22nd September 2006 - Porpoise

Post by Mark Caunt »

Date & Time: FRIDAY 22nd September 2006 - 5:30pm
Species: Harbour Porpoise
Bob McCurley

Sunday Sept. 24th. Humming Hawk Moth

Post by Bob McCurley »

A Humming Hawk Moth was in the Garden of A.D.B.C. Club member

Mickey Mellon this afternoon at 1445hrs. pm.

This really made Mickey.s day coupled with the Ryder Cup Golf Victory over the U.S.A.

He asked me to post this to the Web for him
Dave Adam

Hummingbird Hawkmoth

Post by Dave Adam »

Hummingbird Hawkmoth at Brechin Health Centre gardens
Mark Caunt
Site Admin

TUESDAY 26th September 2006 - Hummingbird Hawkmoth

Post by Mark Caunt »

Date & Time: TUESDAY 26th September 2006 - 2:15pm
Location: Yet another Hummingbird Hawkmoth. This time in a private garden down Laurelbank, Forfar. Exceptional year for them?
Dave Adam

Hummigbird Hawk Moth

Post by Dave Adam »

Seemingly this moth returns to the same flower patch at specific times of the day, so try looking for it again at the same time you first saw it. It prefers to fly in bright sunlight, lays eggs on Galium-Bedstraws-Cleavers and has been regularly seen in Orkney and Finland at 60 N. Some may over winter in Britain instead of migrating south to the med.