angus birding site

General Discussion Of Anything Bird Related Local or Abroad. Post your Birding Diary Blogs Here Also.

Moderators: joncook, Mark Caunt, gus guthrie

Graham Wood

angus birding site

Post by Graham Wood »

being a fifer and prior to such lived in edinburgh and at the moment after moving to fife having birding forays into Angus and would very much appreciate any sites/locations grid etc of the good places to see birds in Angus

many thanks

graham
joncook

Re: angus birding site

Post by joncook »

Hi Graham,
There is a good article by Stuart Green on coastal migrant sites in Angus on the SOC website:
http://www.the-soc.org.uk/angus-coast-sites.htm
Inland Kinnordy, Forfar, Lintrathen and Balgavies Lochs, Backwater Reservoir and Murton Nature Reserve are good while Montrose Basin is probably the most productive Angus site.
For a comprehensive list of sites there is a gazetteer in the Angus & Dundee Bird Report, available from SOC HQ in Gullane, Montrose Basin Visitor Centre (as soon as I take their copies up!) or direct from myself, price £7-50 plus £1-50 p&p. Members of Angus & Dundee Bird Club receive a copy of the Bird Report as part of their subscription. (End of plug!)
Jon
Graham Wood

Re: angus birding site

Post by Graham Wood »

did my first visit to montreathmont forest hide and surrounding areas and was very impresed with results and effort made by ABC
hide is albeit a bit rough and ready but is an excellent hide and gave me immmense pleasue, watching jays at such close range

the eagle